LocalNews

Documentation of New Sexual Violations Among Displaced Women from El Fasher

Community protection network volunteers revealed on Monday that new cases of sexual violence against women and girls fleeing from the city of El Fasher to Tawila in North Darfur have been documented.

A volunteer from one of the protection networks told “Darfur24” that rape and sexual violence continue to haunt women and girls escaping the horrors of war in El Fasher.

He disclosed that more than 15 confirmed rape cases had been recorded in recent weeks at displacement sites in Tawila, according to medical reports.

He explained that three of the victims were assaulted while returning to El Fasher, while the remaining cases involved new sexual assaults that occurred within the displacement camps.

He expected the actual number to be higher, noting that most families refrain from reporting such incidents because of social stigma and shame.

Meanwhile, a social counselor told “Darfur24” that the newly documented rape cases included a woman suffering from epilepsy and several minors.

A recent report by one of the human rights organizations partnering with UNICEF, reviewed by “Darfur24,” documented 12 new rape cases, including minors.

One of the psychological counselors had previously stated to “Darfur24” that the scale of aid being provided does not match the magnitude of the violations or the needs of survivors, stressing that weak humanitarian services and the lack of support centers are limiting opportunities for recovery.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button